The other night, I was spending some time in my studio, having just finished putting some blocks together into a quilt (see elsewhere in the blog) when I looked over and saw the box of goodies that I had re-packed to take to the quilt qroup in January to for show and tell. I needed to unpack and put away all the goodies and kind of clean things up a bit - I could use the tub for other stuff. I pulled out the following items: a pillow cover (partial in the picture), pin cushion and a journal with a cover. I love all of these items, but the one I am going to talk about today is the journal cover. I like everything about this cover from the bright colors to the hexies and even the journal itself without the cover - it's bright pink with paisleys all over it! What is not to love.
However, as I was sitting there, I thought it needed something else. A monogram. I took the cover off the journal and decided how large I wanted my "N" to be. There was some bright green fabric laying right in front of me and I only needed a 5" square so I cut that out and drew an N on it. Looks wonderful, but I really should have put some adhesive on the back - so I did that and then cut it out. Still looking fabulous. I positioned it, ironed it on and then thought, how am I going to sew this down with the flap there? I should have thought of that first, but I knew I could do it. I simply turned the flap to the outside - it would be really sad if I sewed that down and couldn't put my journal back together. If I can ever get the picture to download to this site, I will share with you my finished journal. Now it is perfect and just right for me. I love it!!
One other thing I got finished was the quilt top below. (I even have the back finished!! - that is a minor miracle for me. LOL) This was from a jelly roll - can't tell you the name of it because I forgot. I pieced the blocks awhile back and they were laying around my studio and I decided to put them together. Then I took the leftover strips and made a piano key border for the top and bottom. It looked like it needed one more thing so I added a little border of just white all around and I love it! I am calling it "Boys Blocks" and it will go to one of the boys in my family for graduation. Sometime in the next 10 years we will have 8 boys graduating and I am going to need a few boys quilts and this one is perfect!
Last, but not least, my second iron caddy. I just thought I had worked out all the kinks with the first one, but nope, had similar problems putting this one together, too. I may have to make a third one to see if I can perfect this pattern. (don't put in your request - I won't be making one anytime soon if I do make one) This one fits my iron that I use all the time at home and I am hoping it will fit my friend Glenda's iron since this will be going to her house soon.