About 5 years ago I popped out one of my ribs with a hard sneeze and thought I was going to die. I was at school, siting at my desk during my conference period and AHHCHOOOO. I almost passed out and started sweating the pain was so intense. After conferencing with the school nurse - who I called to come to my room since I wasn't sure I could walk across the building without passing out - I went to see my doctor. She said that I must have pulled a muscle and to put some heat on it. Heat felt really great and helped alleviate some of the pain. I had a chiropractor's appointment later that week I debated about cancelling it, but decided to go anyway and told him about the pain and the pulled muscle - he gently probed my back and side and he told me it wasn't a pulled muscle, I had a rib popped out of place. He popped it back in (pain) and then - - no pain. It was amazing. All the pain went away. Well, I think I have done it again. The pain is not as intense as last time, but it hurts to cough, sneeze or bend. I will be calling the chiropractor in the morning to try and get in tomorrow. I am hoping he can put me back together again, because I have a lot planned for this week and have got to get moving!!
Last week, I decided to do something with some 4 patches that have been living on my cutting table for quite some time. I have moved them out of the way so many times, that I finally decided to "play" with them. I didn't know exactly what the final results would be, but I dived in anyway. At first I thought I might put them together in a 16 patch. Then I decided they needed sashing and cornerstones. So, I cut up some cream fabric that was waiting to be put away and pulled out my box of 1 1/2" squares. (HA - everyone that has thought I was crazy for having these little bitty squares - this is why!) I sewed and sashed those little squares and decided that it needed a really wide border (6 1/2") I originally thought of a dark blue border, but when I auditioned a few fabrics, it wasn't clicking. Then I moved on to a medium green - it looked better, but I couldn't find the right one - at least not without a bit more digging in the drawers. So, I put it away for the night and the next morning decided it needed a yellow. Yep!! That's just what it needed.
That looks great, but it needs something else. I didn't really want to add another border, but couldn't put my finger on what to do. A couple of days pass and then today, I suffered through the pain, cut into the border and put in a 1 1/2" strip (pieced together from my box of 1 1/2" strips)
That was it. Just what it needed. a little more color carried out in the border without overpowering the entire quilt top. DONE!! Now to make a back for it ASAP before it hangs in the closet or lays folded up on the floor for the next 10 years like some of my other tops.