It's no fun being sick! I woke up Monday feeling bad, but knew I had to go into work since it was our first day back from Spring Break. Left school a little early, went home and lounged, but could I sleep? No. I woke up almost every hour on the hour! I couldn't breathe! However, I knew since we were having restaurant on Thursday, we had to get pies made. So, into work I go on Tuesday. Still feeling bad, but not totally horrible. Needless to say, but I will anyway, my week has continued on in this fashion. I have been here everyday, I haven't slept much at a time (last night was the longest between wakenings at 4 hours!!) Today, I feel HORRIBLE!!! I am leaving school here in a few minutes to go to the doctor. I know he is going to ask how long I have been like this and when I say since Monday, he is going to give me the look. I am prepared for that look. I know! But sometimes you just have to do, push through and hold on until you just can't do it any more.
by the way, restaurant was wonderful! We served Chips and Salsa, Green Enchiladas - with beef - Mexican style rice and beans and a variety of pies - how many varieties you ask - well, let me tell you. I had purchased graham cracker pie crusts on sale after Christmas for cheap! really cheap! so we made:
1. Peanut Butter with fudge topping, - this was a first for me. one of my students found this recipe and it is a keeper! definitely going into the recipe folder.
2. My 8 minute cheesecake pie with fresh strawberries - this is always a winner in my book
3. One of my childhood favorites, Pink Lemonade Pie, YUM!
4. S'more pie - this was a new one - another student found this and wanted to try it. It was a medium size hit and is also going into the recipe folder.
5. Key Lime Pie. this recipe, that a student found, is lacking something, even though some people liked it well enough. I think my aunt's recipe is better. I have it at home and I guess I need to add it to my school folder.
6. chocolate Cream pie - another student find and it was a flop. literally. It ran all over the pie pan. It needs some help or better yet, I think I will throw that recipe out. I have a better chocolate pie that I will use next time.
7. Caramel Banana Cream Pie - this one we combined a couple of recipes to create. It was good, but runny. It's a keeper with some major altering of the recipe. it needs some help being more of a complete pie instead of a banana pudding.
8. Cherry O Cream pie - I wish the students had made a couple more of these. It's the standard pie from the 70's.
I think that is all of the pies we served yesterday. It was a lot and when they ran out, we were out! I tried to stay out of the restaurant and kitchen as much as possible and just let my students run it since I was sickly and they, along with my aide, did a great job. I could mostly sit at my desk and take in the money the waiters would bring me.
It was a fun week in the kitchen, but I am so ready for a shot and some meds and my bed! Can't wait until I can go to the doctor. (Now, how many people do you know say that?) I am glad I was here all week so my students could cook, but I have to get well so they can cook again next week.