Sunday, July 24, 2011

Done, Done, Done!!!

I am done with my summer externship!!  Thanks to all the employees - managers, waitstaff, S. A's, kitchen crew, prep, cooks and dishwashers and the owner for putting up with me for the four weeks of my training.   I learned a lot, got some great insight into what it takes to run a successful restaurant and catering company.  I got lots of ideas I plan on implementing into my kitchen at school and how I want my students to run our restaurant.  It was a lot of hard work, sore, achy feet  and lots of sweating!!  That kitchen is extremely hot and having over 100 degree weather almost every single day that I was at work was not fun.  Everyone said that working char - the steak grill - would be one of the hottest places to work, but I beg to differ.  At least working char there is a place you can stand to catch some cold air.  In the kitchen working the line or expoing there is NO cold air!  It is just hot all the time.  I know I am going on about it being hot, but I am one person that thinks the hottest it should ever get is 72 degrees!  I am all for 40 degree days, everyday.  I am a cold weather person.  I am not one of those that relish the heat and laying out on the beach soaking up the sun.  I am all about the mountains and cold running rivers and opening up the windows and let the cool breezes blow through.  So, needless to say, I was miserably hot this summer and I wasn't even out in the sun! 

I have one more week of summer volleyball league - if they want me back since I have been gone so much of it this summer.  Then, I have an entire week of NOTHING!!! before I have to head back to school for a couple weeks of inservice training.  I can't believe it is almost August.  School will start back - with students - in 4 weeks.  Incredible.  My summer has really been packed with working, conferences and family reunion, but mostly working.  I am one of those rare teachers this summer that is actually looking forward to school starting so my life can settle into a slower routine.  Even though my life is not that slow.  Along with school, the restaurant, possibly a coffee bar, and quilting.  I will be keeping the books for Permian's volleyball team and possibly - depending on who the new coach is at OHS - keeping OHS's books, also.  So, for the first few months of school, my life will be as full and hectic as my summer has been.

I am heading to Staples tomorrow to purchase one of those calendar notebooks so I can keep up with all my coming and goings.  The more I think about it, my life may not slow down until NEXT summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment