I finally found some time to sit and sew!! I planned on doing more this summer, but I have been really, really busy as those of you that know me can attest to. I have this entire weekend off so I sewed and watched videos yesterday, put them in the mail this morning so I can get some more in the series - True Blood, season 3 from Netflix, I only saw the first disc yesterday. I can't wait to get the next ones.
Sew, back to sewing - I worked on the blocks of the month challenge from 15 minutes play and made the three newest blocks. This first one is called, Beacon Lights. I wasn't too sure about it when I first saw it on the blog, but it has grown on me. I was worried about my center block with the large patch of purple left of center, but in the picture, even though it stands out some, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. And, with all the blocks together - see end of post - it might just blend in with the blocks, especially if I use a large chunk of that fabric in a later block. I am not changing it like I wanted to at first. After making each section of this block I started piecing it together and it just wasnt' working. I thought I had cut things wrong; the directions were off, I didn't know what was going on. Then I realized that I needed to square up the quarter square triangle blocks to 3 1/2" and it was amazing how easy the block was to put together then. some of the blocks were as much as 1/2" off and when you put two of them together it just didn't fit!
I made this Cactus Flower block first and had to find a green that I wasn't going to use a scrap piece in the made fabric. When I squared up the stem/flower body part, I didn't really center the stem and it is a little bit off, but if I hadn't pointed it out to you, you might not have even noticed. Here again, I wasn't going to go back and fix the problem. I am letting everything stay as is for now.