Sunday, May 4, 2014

Weekend Works in the Wasteland

I know the plan was to work on the various items to catch me up in the Stocking Swap.  That was the plan and I intended to stick with it, but when I got in the studio Friday night, I saw the little zip bag of KFC scraps leftover from the last blocks I made for the KF block exchange and I just started playing and making fabric.  (KFC = Kaffe Fassett Collective - fabrics from Kaffe, Brandon Mobley and Phillip Jacobs; KF = Kaffe Fassett)  I continued on Saturday and then remembered a pillow of little houses I had seen on a blog.  "Ah Ha!!!"  I can make this fabric into little houses and turn it into a pillow cover for the swap.  Excellent idea!  I did the math and figured out what size to cut everything, found fabric for the roof, chimney, door and sky and cut everything out.  Sewed the chimney sections (that took a couple of tries to get right) and made one house.  Yep, I think this is what I want to do. So, I made one more just to be sure and then a third just because.  I finished up the roof tops and went to bed.  Today, I finished all the rest of the houses (9 total) and started putting it together for my pillow cover.   Below are a couple of the houses.  They all have the same lime green doors and striped roofs.  The houses are made from my made fabric.  I love how they turned out. 
 
 
Then, I sashed them with white Kona and measured.  Hmm, it's too big for the pillow cover.  Do I take it apart and do something different?  Do I make a larger pillow cover?  Or, do I just add my border and make a small quilt?  All great questions and it only took me about 2 seconds after measuring to give my answer.  Of course, I add a wonderful border (Phillip Jacobs) and hang it on the design wall for a quick picture.  
 
 
It is such a bright happy little neighborhood, I just couldn't take it apart and re-do it.  But now, I don't have a pillow cover made or anything else for the swap.  So, a quick cutting of the made fabric, a little sewing, stuffing and button and voila!  A brand new pin cushion for the swap.  
 
 
Okay, one down and 5 more to go.  Actually, I made a mug rug way back in December or early January and can use that one if I want, so, two down and three to go.  I am making some progress.  Are you? Are you participating in the swap?  I know there are at least 4 of us from here and two or three of you out there.  Let me know - if you can get my response/comment thing to work - I know Kathy was having some trouble earlier this week, but finally got a comment to post.  Let me know if you are participating in the swap.  We would love to have about 10 people this year. 




1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am working on the stocking swap. I have made 2 pin cushions-one you showed me and another, a pillow cover, 2 mug rugs,and some Christmas ornaments. I have an idea for the placemats and the fabric for pillow cases

    ReplyDelete