Monday, April 21, 2014

NEW!!! Students to State Competition

I get the hint.  You are ready for something new to read, look at and just maybe enjoy a bit.  So, finally, I am back at it.  Blogging again.  I have missed this.  I really have.  I have just been so, so busy.  I did think about you.  I would do something and think, "I need to blog about this."  Or I would make something and I would think, "take a picture and post this on the blog."  Well, as you have witnessed, it didn't happen.  However, I think I have caught up on my sleep and am ready to jump back in - to both blogging and sewing.  Now to update you on what has kept me so busy for the past month or so. 

Wait, I am going to have to go back and read through to see what I actually posted last time so hang out here for a sec while I go do that. 

(do you hear the Jeopardy music in your head or do you hear other elevator music?  I love Jeopardy and  try to catch it every evening if I can.  Some nights I do really, really well and can answer most of the questions, and then other nights, I can only answer one or two if I am lucky.  I think it is fun and interesting.  Okay, the music is coming to an end.  I finally know what I last blogged about.  Here goes. . . . )
 
 
Okay, that is what I thought.  Last time I was here - other than the quick notes - I had told you about my competition teams competing at regionals.  We went to Corpus Christi and one team competed at state.  On Thursday, we toured the USS Lexington and I enjoyed the history of the ship, but found it extremely hard to go up and down those steep stairs.  My knee had been giving me some trouble for a couple of weeks before going on this trip and after one double set of stairs, I elected to just stay on the main deck and enjoy the pictures my students brought back to share with me.  I have a couple of pics on my tablet of the kids being silly and having fun, but forgot to send them here to my laptop and I don't have access to them right now.  I will share these later. 

Then we  - Okay, I have to stop here and say - they have a really, really tall bridge in Corpus that I hate (HATE) going over.  You see, even though I am tall, I have a thing about heights.  I don't like going over more than one story high overpasses (and even then I sometimes get butterflies in my stomach) and I don't like going out over water - either driving or on a pier but, going over that bridge, I get the cold sweats, the butterflies and nausea.  The last time I was in Corpus, my friend drove us over the bridge and I road in the back with my eyes closed.  I do not like it Sam, I am. 

So, we have to ride over the bridge on a shuttle bus to get to the USS Lexington.  Then we ride back to get to the hotel where our bus driver is picking us up.  Then, because the students think it's funny, we go back over the bridge to eat lunch at an interesting place we spotted while on the USS Lexington.  Here we are day one in Corpus and I have already gone over the dreaded bridge 4 times!! 

That evening we ate at Joe's Crab Shack out on the water, cool experience and here are pictures of my students getting ready for their steam pots and eating the seafood.

Beautiful Jassmine

Victor, Valerie and Katty (who did not want her picture taken all weekend and moved or did something to mess up her picture every single time)


chowing down

probably the only clear picture of Katty all weekend and she isn't wearing make-up and is really tired! 
That was because I was being sneaky! she thought I was checking my e-mail!!

 
Since the first group competed on Thursday while we toured the USS Lexington, (I don't think I am allowed to just call it the Lexington, I think I have to always put USS in front to be official)  they(the girls who competed)  and their sponsor, my friend who wants to torture me,  wanted to go over the bridge after we ate (which by now, was all lit up and beautiful).  That was by far the worst.  I don't know why.  Maybe because it was dark? Or because I had a full stomach? (yummy coconut shrimp) or I don't know why, but going over at night is not a fun time for me.  So, yes, if you are counting - that is 6 times in one day (over and back)  Whew!  I was hoping that would be the end of it, but noooo.  On Saturday, before we left to come home, we went back over the bridge for lunch, some shopping and to tour the aquarium. 


All the student we took with us to State posing outside the aquarium - notice Katty ducking her head
Also, the legs of the bridge in the background

standing under the waterfall at the doorway to the Aquarium (Katty once again, doing something to avoid getting her picture taken)

I have some great pictures from the Aquarium, but it is late and time for me to get to bed.  So, that will have to be another posting.  Oh, yes, we didn't place in the top three - that is all they recognize at state and the first place goes on to compete at nationals - which this year is in Texas.  But, two big trips is enough for me so we will sit that one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment