One of my Facebook friends had posted this quilt to her Pinterest. I really liked it and thought I might make one. So, I looked up the original owner of the pinning and she had a tutorial on her blog. Her name is Janice and her blog is Better Off Thread. She calls this a Scrappy Lone Star. There are several things I love about this quilt.
1. It's green.
2. It is original. It's not your typical lone star quilt. It is only a portion of the lone star.
3. The modern take on it. I like that the fabrics are modern and there is no control to where the fabrics are placed. I almost signed up to make a lone star quilt with a famous quilt teacher, but the directions for gathering the fabric just bored me to death!! It was a gradiated quilt and she wanted you to pull/purchase fabrics that were only one tint/shade away from each other to create this lone star. BORING!! I told a friend that just the directions bothered me and after she took the class, she told me that the class would have driven me nuts. It was a total control freak kind of class. I can't handle that. People that have to control every little thing (especially in someone else's quilts) really bother me. So, I thought this would be fun since you don't have to control the fabric.
4. last but not least, after looking at the tutorial, it looked simple to make. Something I could whip up in one night if I wanted.
So, I get into my studio and I decide I am going to make it with scraps left over from a previous Christmas quilt. I have recently moved those scraps a couple of times and I needed to do something with them. I originally made this quilt to be cut into a tree skirt. However, I let my mother and sister talk me into just keeping it for a quilt. I still don't have a tree skirt for that tree. These fabrics were purchased at Hobby Lobby several, several years ago so I only have what is left over, which isn't much,
but I thought I could make it work. I cut my 2 1/2" strips from the 12" blocks and other scraps I have and sewed them together. Even though I loved the scrappiness of the original block, I decided to go more traditonal with my layout of fabrics. (Don't ask - I know that isn't one of the things I originally liked about this quilt, but I don't have 9 different fabrics and I only have one strip of a couple of fabrics plus I don't want to wait to pull some more fabric to go with it all) I sew it all together and add a little purple zing - one of the fabrics has some purple in it, but it's not really noticable until I added the zing. Then, the perfect fabric was laying in the pile next to me, a cream with green dots. I debated about how that would look all cut up like I was going to have to do to make it work. I even slept on it and tried to find some other fabrics, but my heart was now set on this polka dot fabric. I took a chance, cut only two squares and sewed them in. LOOKS GREAT!!! I don't mind the wonkiness of the dots. I even like it better. I finished up the other half, put it together, added some corner pieces and this is what I have:
I really like this. However, it's only about 17 inches wide and 34 inches long. The one thing I don't like about the original quilt that I didn't realize until I made up my quilt - it's only about 33 inches square. I didn't read that when I was looking through the tutorial. Anyway, on with the blog. I think I will add about 20 or 24 inches of the green polka dot to the right side and then piece together some of the leftover fabrics to see what else I can do. I would like this to be at least 50 inches square at the least. 50 X 70 would be better. So, it's a work in progress right now and what I should be working on instead of blogging about it. Just wanted to share what I am working on. I also pieced together a pillow, but that is for another blog. Since I haven't been sewing a lot lately I've got to spread them out a bit.