Friday, June 18, 2010

Nature



I love walking out my front door and seeing the beauty. I planted a bunch of caladium bulbs in late spring hoping for just this look to my front porch area. This is my favorite part about summer. Okay, my second favorite part, being out of school for about 7 weeks is the first part. My least favorite part is the heat. With 100 degree weather most days (95 - 105 degrees) it can get miserable very fast. I know, they say, it's a dry heat, but our humidity has come up several notches in the last 4 or 5 years and it's not as dry as it used to be. I may have to do some research on how and why that happens. We don't get a lot of rain here (7 - 14 inches a year) but yet, it has gotten more humid. Weird phenomenon. Luckily I have central air conditioning and I stay inside the majority of the time. West Texans know that you only go outside in the early morning or evening during the summer time. That type of heat can zap you in no time flat so it is best to stay inside either at work, at home or at the movies whatever your choice during the summer heat. That is really why the yard guys were working so early in the day this week. In this weather you want to get the bulk of your yardwork done early. Which reminds me of a former neighbor. Everyone on my block used to get upset that he would mow his yard about 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. After one month you get used to the wake-up call and just say to your self, " he is up early today." He was always watering and mowing and edging to create the perfect yard. He has moved on and I kind of miss his mowing. No, I don't miss the mowing, I miss the sweet elderly gentleman that watched out for me. The one that worried if he hadn't seen me in awhile or if I accidently left my garage door open. I miss just stopping over there while he was watering and talking about life in general. I hope he is happy in his new life, but I sure do miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment